James

GE Tracker Security Disclosure Q&A

Please post all questions related to the GE Tracker security disclosure below.

We're happy to answer everyones questions, no matter how big or small.

Hi arnator,

It is to give you all enough time to update your account security not only on GE Tracker, but all websites and services you are a member of.

• reaction_title_1 1

I appreciate the frankness and openness of the message you sent out, and you did an excellent job of explaining what exactly happened. What information was made available was stated, and it seems you've responded appropriately. Top notch job overall. I've already enabled 2fa, as well as changed my email passwords.

Edited by therminsales
  • reaction_title_1 4

I appreciate to detailed email, it's a shitty situation but you guys seem to handle it well. 

• reaction_title_1 1

Hey, the email doesn't really explain to what level ge tracker was breached. Do you believe that ge tracker account credentials were compromised and if so, what type of password storage does ge tracker use? Also, will you folks be rotating everyone's credentials?

28 minutes ago, jmoore said:

Hey, the email doesn't really explain to what level ge tracker was breached. Do you believe that ge tracker account credentials were compromised and if so, what type of password storage does ge tracker use? Also, will you folks be rotating everyone's credentials?

@jmoore

The email does go into depth about what was affected in the breach but I can summarize:

- If you logged in, or registered, between the 25th and 29th of May there is a chance that your login credentials were intercepted.
- There is a small chance that your GE-Tracker profile was scanned. In this case your account email was harvested.
- There was no leak of the user database at any point, and the attacker was booted from the system by clearing all sessions and locking the compromised accounts.

The password in the database are encrypted with industry-standard encryption and salted. I can't speak for a site-wide password rotation as that would be James.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. If you'd like to get technical, DMing me on Discord would be best.

(I deleted my previous response of this to make sure you were tagged)

• reaction_title_1 3

Thank you for all being so open about this. Any chance that OSBuddy credentials would have been swiped too if you use the import feature for profit tracking?

On 2017-6-8 at 0:39 AM, doggie said:

Thank you for all being so open about this. Any chance that OSBuddy credentials would have been swiped too if you use the import feature for profit tracking?

They are encrypted in the database and the hacker didn't specifically target them so they are safe :)

• reaction_title_1 1